Friday, June 25, 2010

Trying to start something

Hello,

I would like to talk about a Non-Profit Organization that is just starting up. The main purpose of this organization will be raise awareness of Veteran Benefits that many veterans do not know about. They will maintain an over watch of the Motorcycle Clubs that are affiliated with it. All activities in the local community and hopefully a national community in the future will conduct motorcycle rides that will assist in the organisations mission statement. All rides will be conducted in a respectful manor and will be for charity purposes maintaining a mileage tracker that will be requesting mileage pledges, they will also request donations of any type for fundraising and other charitable causes.

I was hoping to call it "Ride for a Reason," the name says it all, but sorry to say it is already taking by a group in California that is a cancer awareness group so I am currently working on calling it something else that will maintain the core meaning of what I want this to be. Currently it is made up of myself and possibly a few of  friends of mine that are all combat vets of Operations Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom. The ridding goals will be continuous rides around our amazing country stopping at local USO's, VFW's and American Legion chapters to raise awareness for benefits for veterans and to assist their local chapters anyway they may need. The rides will also have a main goal of stopping at every VA Hospital and Armed Forces Retirement Home to ensure proper care is being maintained and to assist in the needs of our devastated Vietnam vets. At every VA Hospitable, USO, VFW and American Legion to collect the wonderful stories of our past veterans to comprise a Veterans Blog of past and present.

I want to talk about something that needs to be addressed right now. I first want to explain what the Armed Forces Retirement Home is and what is means to veterans of America. I want to explain what it means to me and how much I love what I do as a US Army Soldier with combat experience.

The Armed Forces Retirement Home (AFRH) in Washington DC and The Gulf port, Mississippi home is the only retirement centers of its kind. It is a place that for more than a century and a half, veteran Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, and Airmen have enjoyed the finest lifestyles in their retirement. The tradition continues with both the Gulfport and Washington campuses of the AFRH. They model retirement centers with facilities and services designed with our residents in mind.

The two campuses provide outstanding services and amenities that rival those found throughout the United States. For those who meet the eligibility requirements there are no costly initiation to registration fees, and the monthly user fees are very affordable.

The Vision of the AFRH is simple, to actively nurture the health and wellness philosophy of aging while providing our nations heroes with a continuum of life care services in a community setting. Their mission is just a simple also, to fulfil our nations commitment to its veterans by providing a premier retirement community with exceptional residential care and extensive support services.

That was taking off of the AFRH website. Like I said I have had the privilege to volunteer there several times and I am not so happy with they way the Washington location is taking care of. Now please don't get me wrong or misconstrue the what I am saying. I am so happy that these places are here and that they are able to do what they can but our Nations hero's need more, they deserve more.

I think now is where I can start complaining a little as so. while I was there last I went to a lunch-in we will call it, the smells of the building where strong, most of the staff just seemed tired of working there,  like they didn't see how lucky they all where to not only having a job but having a job working for our vets. I was told by two vets that they had been being hit by the staff and when I asked around to other staff members I was told that they are just saying that to get attention (I find that so hard to believe). I also was able to see what happens to member that end up with dementia, they are put into a room with other members that have dementia and for the most part locked away in the basement. Again, I am not a clinical advisor nor am I a budget annalist but I think after seeing the horrors of war that I can see somethings not right when I see it. I feel that everyone needs to take the time out of their busy days and visit the AFRH web-site, it is full of great information on who and how a member can retire there.

It is wonderful there also, I had one bad day from all the times I went there but I do think the number one problem is the lack of funds that are available for the retirement center. To be able to retire there you must have retired with at least 50% of their service as enlisted, warrant, or limited duty officer. If a vet is unable to earn a livelihood due to injuries, disease or disability and who served in a war theater or received hostile fire pay. When you are excepted (because there is a review process) you will for fit 35% of your taxable pay each month to assist in paying for lodging.

Due to some of the problems with the cost of running such a large facility they have had to cut back on many things so that they could maintain a budget. You see the AFRH is an independent federal agency under the jurisdiction of the Sec of Defence. AFRH relies upon its Trust Fund for operation, maintenance and constructing of equipment and buildings. It receives no annual appropriation from Congress or any other government agency. The AFRH Trust Fund in financed with a  50 cent payroll deduction from all active duty military members, dines and forfeitures from military disciplinary actions (which may vary depending upon operational tempo), as stated above fees from residents which are capped by income and interest income. The home is restricted by law to investments in low yield Treasury bonds as well.

The concern is to bring awareness to the lack of staff that the AFRH has on hand to assist in the care of our elderly vets. I don't think the staff that was working during my last visit is unconcerned with the care that they give but they are understaffed and with fundraising I hope we can better facilitate the quality care that our veterans deserve.

Thank you for checking this out and I hope you seemed as concerned as I am and take a few moments out of your day to not only thank a vet but to stop in and talk to a vet about what they have done and where they have been. It is my experience that most older vets only want to tell their story before they are unable to tell it anymore. Again thank you and look for your local VA Hospital or VA Shelter and offer them a few hours of assistance.


Ride with pride when its Red, White and Blue! US Army Combat Vets

No comments:

Post a Comment